Friday, February 10, 2012

[FEATURE]: Cecile Corbel

Friday, February 10, 2012


Now I want to introduce you guys to someone I've recently discovered.

It took me quite a few months to find the album of Ghibli's latest movie The Borrower's Arrietty Soundtrack, I know you know how I'm a big fan of the production but you can't blame me because they make great animation and soundtrack, anyway, back to the topic, I finally got hold of the album! *doing a happy dance* :) So I was listening & looking through it and I notice the name of the composer , the name was quite new to me because I'm usually (a little bit) familiar with Studio Ghibli's composers & musicians so this new name perks my interest of who the person is. So I've done a bit of research.

Meet Cecile Corbel, a French-Breton singer & harper. (If your wondering what Breton is, it means a Celtic language of Brittany which is a northwestern province in France). She has already released four original albums and has worked for Studio Ghibli as a composer for the The Borrower's Arrietty 2010 Film.  She became known to Ghibli filmmakers when she sent them a fan letter showing her appreciation of their films, together with a copy of her own album. After hearing the album of her music she had sent them, they thought they should collaborate with her for the music of this film. [Info Credits to Wikipedia] The movie's main theme "Arrietty's Song" has not only been composed by her but she also sang it in English, Japanese, French, German & Italian.

I'm really fascinated by her right now but what I really like about her the most is that she plays the harp! I mean, I love piano, violin, cello & guitar but a music played in harp, for me, it sounds pretty surreal & mystically beautiful, it makes me think of how you would portray an Angel or a Nymph be playing with an instrument. 

To be honest, if you listen to her music, you would somehow want to put her into groups with Enya but I'm not saying that she's really like her, my point is, they both make a very different kind of music, one that is utterly surreal, the kind of impression that it is somehow like fantasy, and at the same time magically beautiful~haha, I know, I suck with my description (very cheesy) but that's how close I can literally explain it.

(This video is the theme song from the movie The Secret World of Arrietty)


(I personally like this MV. I don't know why but it gives me a feeling that I'm watching something out from reality but at the same time it's eerily beautiful. And oh, the song is actually one of her originals.) 

Don't worry, I'll be sharing you guys more of her songs soon. For now, enjoy listening to the videos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment